THE HISTORY OF THE FIRST GARDEN CLUB OF GREEN COVE SPRINGS
Compiled by Mary Beale Ivey and Florence V. Harris (no date)
Edited by Gail Kohn (March 2020)
Several years before The Garden Club of Green Cove Spring was federated in September 1946, Mrs. L.E. Harris spoke with a close friend in the Federated Garden Club of Jacksonville. Mrs. H.D. Duke was a member of the Lantana Circle of that club. They discussed the possibility of organizing a garden club in Green Cove Springs.
During the war years, as the ladies in Green Cove met to roll bandages for the Red Cross, Mrs. Harris was encouraged to proceed with organizing a garden club. A letter was written to the State Federation of Garden Clubs President, Mrs. W. H. Covington and to the President of the newly organized MacClenny Garden Club. Letters between MacClenny and Jacksonville regarding this interest were forwarded to the District III Director, Mrs. Newell Davis of Palatka.
It was learned that Mrs. R.H. Totten, a Past Director of Southeastern States of National Council of State Garden Clubs was living in Penney Farms. She was invited to meet with a group of ladies to assist in organizing the club. This meeting as held on May 24, 1945 on Mrs. W.L. Stripling’s lawn with sixteen people present. The hostesses for the day were Mrs. W.W. Ivey and Mrs. Stripling. Officers and Standing Committees were elected. Officers were Mrs. L.E.Harris, President; Mrs. W.A. Willson, Vice-President; Mrs. Warwick Kenney, Secretary; and Mrs. W.L. Stripling, Treasurer. Standing committee chairmen were: Mrs. O.R. Rosenbush, Exchange and Exhibit; Mrs. Leo Maquire, Program; Mrs. A.B. Reid, Civic; and Mrs. George Davis, Reporter.
It was decided the club would meet every third Thursday in the month beginning in September and closing with May.
Hopefully, you will be interested in additional installments of our history. The next installment will begin with the very first meeting on September 20, 1945.